Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Japanese Detective Galileo VS HK Detective Galileo (Part I)


First of all, I would like to say that this title is misleading, especially since I know nothing about the HK Detective Galileo except it's costume fitting is in two days. In addition, it is say that HK Detective Galileo is inspired by the Japanese one; therefore, I'm not sure how much the producer will take from the original. Since I just finish watching the Japanese Galileo, I decided to post a prior-to-costume fitting to after-costume fitting (assuming that there will be more information).


Prior warning: Spoiler Ahead.



Well, I got to say that I fell in love with this drama. I love the entire concept with solving crime through science (I always love science.) and the main characters. This has to be the first Japanese drama I ever watch and I find myself enjoying it tremendously, even though it was a little irritating to focus on the screen while trying to keep up with the English subtitle, I find it very satisfying. One thing I like most about it is that they manage to solve the mystery in every episode. This way I didn't have to wait for two or three episodes before a mystery would be solve. Another thing is, the crime wasn't too gruesome. I admit that I'm a person that can be easily spook but this drama didn't spook me out. Instead, in a sense, it is similar to Forensic Heroes. It kept me in a constant stage of curiosity and anticipation. I have to admit that in one or two cases, I can almost predict what happened and who was the killer but they always added something more to surprise me. I like to be surprise.



One reason I believe why this drama was such a success was the chemistry between the two main leads. Professor Yukawa Manabu and Detective Utsumi Kaoru have so much chemistry. They are the complete opposite with different views on life but they managed to bring out the best in each other. Professor Yukawa is a brilliant scientist who explained and viewed everything with physics and science. He believe that anything can be explained through science experiments and equations. In addition, he is not only handsome but he do everything perfect, whether it is sports or cooking. His true passion in life is science, which led to his continuous involvement with Detective Utsumi, a rookie detective who is passionate about solving crimes. She is persistence, determine, and emotional. She constantly asked Yukawa for help but she admired his brilliance and she knew he will find out the mystery behind the case. Most often, he find out the how and she find out the why. In a way, they are the perfect partner, the perfect fit.
Yet, the greatest regret in this drama was that there was nothing romantic involve between those two. In several episodes, I could felt the trust and admiration from Utsumi to Yukawa and in some instantaneous I felt Utsumi is important to Yukawa but there was no dying love or even hand holding. It was in the last episode when they hugged that I realized Utsumi is a head shorter than Yukawa. Imagine my surprise! Haha! In ten episodes, the progress is perfect but I can't help but wonder if it would be a little longer, would a romance develop? However, thinking back, I realized that the drama is almost perfect. I guess it will be up to the audience (Me) to predict what would happen as the story progress. For me, I would believe it will take a lot of getting to know each other but they will finally be together.


Furthermore, it was entertaining to see the humor in this drama. It was not too over the top but I have a few laughs. In addition, I also need to praise the supporting actors for doing such a great job. The Professor's assistant, the detective partner, and the coroner. Sometime they may be a little irritating (the detective partner in particular) but they help bring out the story as well.


Now, let me talk a little about the main actor and actress. I believe they brought out the best in their characters. I got to say that I fell in love with the actor Fukuyama Masaharu as the professor. He is such a werido/nerd/hottie/brilliant/interesting man. I especially love it when he always start off saying that he is not interested in solving crime but when a mystery take place, he would say that it is truly amusing. Moreover, whenever he solve the mystery, he started writing equations on the nearby thing, whether it is on the street or on a car window. LOL! In the meantime, the actress, Shibasaki Kou, is also very adorable. Her expressions is truly amusing. It was very easy to fall in love with this rookie who does everything by instinct. He goes by reason, and she goes by instinct. Truly amazing!


Lastly, I would like to comment on my prediction of how TVB will be 'inspired' by this drama. Since it is a TVB series and it is most likely that it will be 20 episodes or more. I am almost 100% sure that they will solve each case with every two to five episodes, which is a downside for me but anticipated. Moreover, since it is TVB, we will except romance, which is a upside for me. (^v^) Raymond Lam, Tavia Yeung, Kenneth Ma and possibly Bernice Liu. We already knew Raymond is the professor and Tavia as the detective but what about Kenneth and Bernice. If they are not a guest star for a case, I would predict that Kenneth is either Tavia's partner or Raymond's assistant (rooting for this role because he is hilarious.) As for Bernice, she could only be the coroner because that would be the perfect role for her. Trusting TVB, they will add a love story for Bernice and Kenneth and possible more characters. As for the cases, I rather hope they may copy one or two but not the entire series (since it will be disappointing) and trusting HK audiences (No offense) they will probably complaint about the similarity. *sighed* Let's hope the writer came up with original ideas and maybe collaborate with a scientist for more ideas. I am crossing my fingers for this series because I'm a huge Raymond Lam's fan and I am looking forward for FungYi. Bernice and Kenneth is like the cherry on top. Haha! Well, two more days till the costume fitting, so I'm hoping for the best! In addition, I need to thank Raymond and Tavia for introducing me to this fabulous drama, figuratively. (^-^) This will be my most anticipated series for 2010 (I think it will be almost impossible to be air this year?) I can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment